We all know why we need to add push ups in our workout routine, but there is more you need to know about diamond push ups.
The diamond push up is one of the best and effective body weight exercises, bringing the both hands closer and forming a diamond shape that may be more difficult and has more additional benefits.
Well, all kinds of push ups work on shoulders, chest and triceps. Bringing your both hands closer puts the focus firmly on your triceps, if you spread your both hands wide apart that can target the chest.
Diamond push ups are difficult from the standard push-ups, so it’s important to manage normally as much as you can.
If you are probably wondering about the diamond push up benefits and how to do diamond push ups in proper form. Read this article, everything you need to know about diamond push ups and how you start with them.
- Also Read : Lower Ab Workouts For Men – 10 Best Lower Abs Workouts
- Also Read : 07 Best Dumbbell Triceps Exercises – Best Dumbbell Triceps Workouts
What is a Diamond Push Up?
Diamond push ups are one of the best bodyweight exercises and also known as triceps push ups. These are more difficult variations of the classic bodyweight exercise.
You can bring your both hands closer together and make a diamond shape, and press your body up. This push up is popular in the army, and this exercise helps build triceps and chest muscles in addition to arm muscles.
Note: Diamond push up is one of the best triceps exercises to engage and work the three-headed triceps muscles.
How to do a Diamond Push-Up with Proper Form
Performing diamond push ups is harder and also called tricep push ups. So here we 4 simple steps to perform diamond push ups in proper form.
Start in a plank position, body tight and straight, and your hands directly underneath the shoulder, arms extended.
Keep that same position and bring your both hands closer together and spread your fingers and make a diamond shape with your index fingers.
Bring your chest down to the floor while keeping your back flat.
Press back up to the starting position and full arm extension and repeat this exercise until your triceps burns.
Diamond Push Ups Benefits
If you’re looking for the most effective body weight exercise to train your triceps, then consider diamond push ups because this is a unique movement and it can do a great job for your triceps by developing the lateral tricep head.
Adding diamond push ups in your workout routine can build your overall strength and size of your triceps. Diamond push ups are beneficial for other muscles also including your chest and shoulder. To do this exercise doesn’t require any kind of equipment and you can perform this exercise anywhere and at any time.
So, here we are listed some of the great benefits of diamond push ups including:
- Diamonds push up one of the best exercises to target lateral triceps head
- One of the great exercises to build lean muscle in the tricep
- This is one of the best bodyweight exercises, don’t required any equipment
- They are one of the great home exercises that target triceps, chest and shoulder. So, you should definitely consider in your workout routine to build lean muscle
Other Diamond Push Ups Benefits:
- Diamond push ups are a great workout for your chest. Some people say it will not activate the chest muscles but the truth is the narrow position puts more stress on your chest.
- The diamond push ups are great exercise for your shoulder, especially the anterior deltoid. The diamond push ups put more tension on your shoulder joint. That helps to build shoulder muscles
- The diamond push ups can increase triceps activation because due to the narrow position of your hands, more tension is placed on your triceps. Diamond push ups are the most effective and beneficial body weight exercise for triceps, followed by triceps kickbacks and dips.
Three Things to Consider for Diamond Push Ups
The diamond push ups are only beneficial when you are done with proper form. So, here are 3 things you should keep in mind for this bodyweight exercise.
01. Warm-Up Well
It’s important to warm up before starting training. A good warm up cam makes the body and mind for the workout, boost your performance and also keeps away from the injuries and aches.
If you want to start a diamond push up, warming up well is very important, because this exercise is more difficult and you may feel some strain on your wrists and elbows. So, spending more time to warm up is most important.
02. Make Yourself Perfect
The diamond push up has numbers of benefits, but it takes time to perfect the exercise and get most of the benefits. If you’re doing diamond push ups for the first time, you may find it difficult and awkward but practices make you perfect.
If you find most difficulty at first, you can start with a modified version and support yourself. This is how you can gain enough strength to do the classic version.
03. How to Use Diamond Push-Ups Effectively
The Harvard Health Publishing mentioned diamond push up or standard push up are top bodyweight exercises. And you can use diamond push ups to complete a push up workout.
You can start your training with more challenging variation and then you can slowly move to less challenges.
- Diamond Push Ups: 3 sets of 15to 20 reps
- Classic Push Ups: 3 sets of 15 to 25 reps
Common Mistakes of Diamond Push-up
Many people make some common mistakes while doing diamond push ups. But to get the most benefits of diamond push ups, you need to do with proper form.
Remember, you can keep your elbows close to your body. So, keep your arm and your body at a 45-degree angle. And don’t allow your hands to go in front of your shoulder.
If you want to give more tension to your triceps, then you can move your hands close to your face. This is more advanced triceps push up exercise.
Most of the people in the beginning start with fast and get elbow pain and some injury. If you’re doing it, definitely stop and take advice from a personal trainer so they can help you with proper form.
Remember, injuries only can consume your time and make it longer to achieve your goal.
QNA on Diamond Push up
Diamond Push Ups vs Normal Push Ups
The diamond push up puts more tension and is great for building triceps muscles compared to the normal push ups. And diamond push ups are harder than normal push ups.
How Many Diamond Push Ups Should I Do?
If your beginner starts with more sets and less repetitions like 5 sets of 6 to 8 reps. After that you can increase the repetitions and be ready for more difficult variations.
Once you learn the perfect form then do 5 to 6 sets of 20 to 25 reps. Try to add more repetitions and give your best.
Do Diamond Push Ups Work on The Upper Chest?
The short answer is NO, the diamond push ups are not a great choice for training upper chest, but you can train your upper chest with inclined exercise.
Can Diamond Push Ups Build Biceps?
Diamond push ups and standard push are great building arms, and may add more mass to your biceps and triceps.
Do Diamond Push Ups Make You Stronger?
Diamond push ups are more beneficial and make the triceps stronger, chest and shoulder stronger. Also diamond push ups increase your overall strength and this bodyweight exercise is definitely worth it.
The Bottom Line
The diamond push ups are a great choice for building the size and strength of your triceps, also help for chest and deltoids. You need some practice and a base level of strength to perform them effectively.
Before starting to do it, talk to a personal trainer to avoid injury and perform with great techniques.
Hopefully you like this article, if you have any questions and any suggestions kindly put them in the comment box below.
You’ll also like:
- 10 Best Bicep Workouts – Best Bicep Exercise for Beginners
- 10 Best Shoulder Workouts – Best Shoulder Exercises for Beginners
- Burpee Workout – 05 Best Ultimate Bodyweight Exercises to Get Fit
- How Long Does It Take to Lose Weight – Everything You Need to Know
- How to Do Pyramid Workout for Building Strength and Muscle