Every one in this world is unique with different face shapes and features, and the most talked about feature in the human body is your lips. Your lips define aesthetics if your face, and every type of lips has its own beauty.
Your genetics mainly determine your lips type, your face structure and other facial features. You can improve the quality of its features with the right care and make-up. Just like our eyes are considered to be the window to our soul, our lips also say a lot about our character.
We all have different types of lips and as per scientists, lips are the one of the dominant features that show our personality. However, the way you treat or take care of your lips can make a difference in how your lips look, and lip movement helps to communicate your emotions to others.
Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about types of lips, how to care for them, and how to change them.
- Also Read : How to Get Rid of Neck Lines – What Causes Neck Lines
- Also Read : Using Cocoa Butter For Skin Lightening – Does It Work
Types of Lips
The shape of your lips can say a lot about your personality, it can also list your personality traits and say a lot about your character. So, here are 9 different types of lips shapes, what they actually say about your personality and how to apply lip makeup for each of them.
01. Slim or Thin Lips
Slim lips are one among the different types of lips and if your both upper lip and lower lip are thin, you will fall under this category. Their mouth shape is a little tight and this type of lips seems to be stylized and rigid.
- Line your both lips using a lip pencil.
- Use lighter color on your upper lips and darker color on your lower lip to improve the quality of your lip-shape.
- You can also overline your lower lip to make it appear slightly bigger.
02. Thick Lips
Thick lips are another lip-type which shows a very empathetic person, and these types of lips naturally make the mouth look bulky and get more attention than the other features from the face. And this type of lip shape has a lot of human empathy.
The person with these types of lips is considered to be more attractive and beautiful in culture, and generally very protective in nature.
- You can try nude color on your thick lips that will blend into your skin.
- These lips can be more attractive and trying to highlight your cheeks as well, will make your face appear more balanced.
03. Heart-Shaped Lips
Heart-shaped lips are one of the most desired types of lips among different types of lips and these lips have a prominent cupid’s bow. This means their upper lip has a dip in the middle and heavier lower lip.
- You can try some lip color on both your lips.
- To further enhance the look, line it in the center with a white pencil.
- You can also use creamy nude eyeshadow to make it look fuller.
04. Wide Lips
If you have been complimented on smiling ‘ear to ear’ then you have wide lips. When you smile your lips extend to your ears. Applying lip makeup, you can balance out.
- Balancing out the width by overlining your lips can help make them appear bigger.
- Overlining your lower lips can also add weight to your lips and mouth.
- Try light or nude shade that can distract people from noticing your lips.
05. Top-Heavy Lips
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is a supermodel known for her top-heavy lips. These lips are heavier on the top and do not have a distinctive dip in the cupid’s bow. A majority of Indian women have these types of lips.
- Use a lip liner around the edge of your lips, following natural lip shape in order to avoid overdrawing. Use a brush and your lipstick to line your lips.
- You can use dark lip color on your upper lip and shade lighter on your lower lip to make your upper lips appear a bit smaller.
- If you’re not interested in applying different colors of lipsticks, then, you can use a white pencil to the center of your lower lip to balance your lips.
- You can use a pencil to extend the lining of your lips, this will definitely make your lips appear fuller.
06. Small Lips
Small lips are not wide, they have limited width. But they tend to be full and a significant protruding pout.
- Try to apply a glossy lip formula that will make your lips look fuller.
- Try to avoid dark colors because they may make our lips appear smaller.
- Applying light glossy pink color can make your lips look more fuller and thicker.
07. Round Lips
These types of lips are prominently round and have a natural pout that many women crave for.
- Dark color may make your other features more noticeable over your lips.
- Glossy lipsticks may be best for your round lips, that can draw people’s attention to your features.
08. Naturally Fuller Lips
Naturally puller lips are one of the most desired lip shapes among all the other different types of lips. These lips are naturally plump on both at the top and the bottom. These lips usually characterize very empathetic and impressive parenting instincts.
How to Take Care of Your Lips?
01. Keep Your Lips Hydrated
Keeping your lips or body hydrated is very important, especially in a cold dry climate and even in the sun. Not drinking enough water can make your lips feel irritated and dry. Just like your body and skin, your lips also need hydration. Try to drink enough water everyday (2 to 4 liters of water).
Also, you can use lip moisturizers like:
- Cocoa Butter
- Aloe Vera
- Vitamin E
- Coconut Oil
These moisturizers can help your lips to protect from sun exposure. And they can also be used before applying lipstick and tint.
02. Exfoliate Regularly
Just like your skin, your lips also accumulate some dead skin cells for your lips, that can make your lips look dry and dull. So, use lip balm every night and also use your toothbrush to exfoliate the lips in the morning. While exfoliating, don’t brush too hard as it will damage your lips.
03. Don’t Let Your Lips Get Chapped
It’s important don’t let your lips get chapped or cracked.
Some causes of chapped lips include:
- Cold or dry weather
- Certain medications
- Dehydration or malnutrition
- Excessive lip licking
Try to exfoliate your lips to avoid your lips from cracking or chapped.
04. Apply Vitamin E on Your Lips
Vitamin E is best for healthy skin and lips, and it can help generate new skin cells and also improve the quality of blood circulation. You can also use vitamin E for rubbing it onto your lips.
05. Don’t Apply Makeup at Home
Avoid applying lipsticks when you’re indoors, because lipsticks tend to dry out your lips. Apply the lipsticks when it’s required and use primer or balm before applying lipsticks.
How Can I Change My Lip Shape?
If you’re not interested in the present lip shape and want to change your lip shape, then there are many topical and surgical options for reducing the size of your lips and plumping your lips up.
Here are some of the options:
01. Hyaluronic Acid Lip Fillers
Hyaluronic acid lip filler is a temporary filler that will last about up to 6 months. These fillers are designed to give more noticeable lips. HA lip fillers used to get rid of wrinkles and give you fuller lips.
HA lip fillers gel that is very smooth, usually they will show up the results after a few days of getting injected.
If you use makeup correctly, you can change your lip shape. Also, you can experiment with various colors and shades of lipstick. Determine what types of lips you have and find out the right makeup choices for your lips.
03. Nonsurgical Methods
While, using home remedies, you can temporarily change your lip shape such as cayenne pepper recipes and cinnamon oil, these will work by causing mild inflammation of your lips. You can also buy some commercial products that can help to change your lips shape such as physician’s Formula Plump potion and hyaluronic acid.
04. Silicon Lip Filler
Silicon lip fillers are permanent lip fillers, but that can be removed easily. This filler is usually cheaper than the temporary lip fillers and also pre-made.
04. Lip Exercises
There are a number of jaw exercises and lip yoga that you can try at home, and get these fuller and attractive lips.
QNA’s on Types of Lips
Does Licking Your Lips Too Much Can Damage Them?
The short answer is Yes, licking your lips too much can lead to discoloration. Salvia can dry the lips and can lead to a chronic condition known as lip licker’s dermatitis.
Do I Need SPF For My Lips?
The short answer is YES, your lips will damage from UV rays, to protect your lips use lip balms SPF and cover your lips from exposure to the sun.
Is Vaseline Good for Your Lips?
It totally depends on your lip’s health, if you’re not allergic then Vaseline will not cause your lips or make your lips drier. It may not be the best option for hydrating lips, so you can use lip balms that contain argan oil.
Your lips shape is genetically determined. Lip shapes aren’t related to your personality. Everyone’s lips are unique and different, you can improve your lip look with the right makeup.
Keeping your lips hydrated and protecting from the elements will help your lips to stay healthy looking. If you’re not happy with the look of your lips, you can change your lip shape temporarily with topical applications.
Hopefully, you like this article, if you have any questions and suggestions kindly put them in the comment box below.
You’ll also like: